Saturday, July 5, 2008

Beer! Part II

Today I returned to the Seattle International Beerfest because one full day of drinking beer simply isn't enough. Jeff decided to go with me because one day of drinking beer is better than no days drinking beer. It was a very long and eventful day probably best summed up by Post Number I; doggedly typed up at 2:47 am after a very full day of drinking, karaoking, taxi'ing, and bus'sing. As you will be able to tell after reading it, I was really worked up. Post Number II will come tomorrow. And here we go:

Okay, so much crazy shit today...and as you can see by the post time, it's 2:47 my time on Sunday morning, so this is genuine:

As posted earlier, Fisher and I went to the SIB via bus, and that was a hoot and a half. Took us 50 minutes to get from West Seattle to the Space Needle and we immediately got in line to taste the 4 oz of golden nectar known as ale soaked in oak Scotch barrels. The line was so long that we doubted we'd have a chance at it, but we waited anyway and low and behold, we made it just in time. The beer was delicious; a combination of scotch and beer. I was marking these down on my beer program that I had since Friday (more on this later).

Fisher and I stayed at the SIB the whole afternoon - children were not allowed, but dogs were - which really didn't bother me, except I've never had a child lick me on the leg, but many of these dogs did just that. Why is that okay? Not that I mind; but why allow dogs in so that they can lick legs, yet children are kept out? Fucking WA liquor laws (more on this later).

Around 5 or so we left and went to the Mecca Cafe for I don't know what reason other than I wanted to go there. We were sitting at the booth for awhile just hanging out not really desiring anything until the bartender guy comes around and tells us: "you want anything, get your ass up to the bar and order it." That was cool though because at least we knew where things stood. Not that we were expecting anyone to wait on us; we were just hanging out. Anyway, I went and ordered a mhl and a manny's, I believe, and then put some good shit on the jukebox (Pixies, Jane's Addiction, QOTSA, Ramones) and settled in. After an hour or so, we left and went to

Ozzies. Which is where I discovered I didn't have a spec of ID on me. No license, no credit card, no debit card, nothing. And it really pisses me off that I forgot all that shit at home too. I can't believe I did. But,

they let me in. I told them I was 40 and I showed them my SIB wristband. I didn't even have to show any leg. Fisher gets a beer and I order a Maker's and ginger ale (thanks Kevin) and then discover that karaoke starts at 9:00. It was 9:02. I down the Maker's and somehow another one appears while I'm off scoping out the giant encyclopedia of music, but can't find any Journey. Before the Ozzie's adventure is over, I sing "In My Life" and "Rebel Yell" to a small crowd in the bar, but many humans are filing in. Fisher pays the bill, but I hadn't quite finished my Maker's/Ginger and for some reason I wrap it in my SIB booklet in which I had taken all my notes in for the weekend. As I exit, bouncer guy deftly takes my booklet, looks at my somewhat filled glass (apparently this isn't Vegas), says "What do we have here?", takes it and dumps the glass, but TAKES MY BOOKLET! I protest to no avail as he throws the booklet in the trash! MOTHERFUCKER! Fisher goes back to get in to retrieve it but motherfucker doesn't let him in and says, "You're with that guy!" (Like I'm a negative example for barfly humanity.) and that's that. All my precious notes are gone! I was really wound up and for that reason thought it best to just leave. So many thoughts came to mind. I was so motherfucking pissed because this guy held all the supposed power and I couldn't do anything about it. here I am a 40 year old and this stupid ^&*%(#&()&# took away my notes! I wanted to go back and tell him off, but the sad thing is is that I knew he was just doing his job and they shouldn't have let me in in the first place without ID, but still. Urrrggghghghghghghhgh. Jeff and I hailed a taxi to WS and I complained the whole way there and we ended up at the Yen Wor Village and I'll tell you about that adventure (along with Jack in the Box) tomorrow. Good night: JON

No comments: