- 1 shot Jameson - M & M's house
- 1 Vanilla Sex - M & M's house
- 1 Margarita - 10 Mercer
- 1 16 oz. can Rainier - King's Hardware
I love this picture of my brother, Ken, and my sister, Michelle. It wouldn't surprise me if they hate it. It was taken on December 19th, 1987, after the first of two U2 concerts we went to in Tempe, Arizona where they were filming their Rattle and Hum movie. They weren't drunk, they weren't stoned. They just looked like that.
We didn't yet know that it would be called Rattle and Hum, but when tickets go on sale for $5 each and promote that it will be in an upcoming concert movie, you yell Road Trip! and just do it. In this case, my brother, my sister and two friends, Caroline and Eric, and two of their friends made the ten hour drive from the OC to the college town of Tempe, Arizona to see U2 play Sun Devil Stadium twice in one weekend. We found a cheap hotel, dressed like rock stars, and enjoyed our freedom for the weekend.

This is a picture of me and Caroline. I was 20 years old! I look kind of girly here! Maybe it's the red lips, pink shirt, and funny waisted jeans. Anyway, we met at Sam Goody, the record and video store that now inhabits malls everywhere. Caroline was a super cool friend and she was a better dresser than I was. It was also off of one of her cigarettes that I took my first drag.
She now lives in Ohio and adopts cats and cares for them. She is married to Eric, pictured to the left. Eric was super cool too and had better hair than I did. He now runs a construction company and he drives a Hummer. They have three children. They first hooked up at a party my brother, sister, and I threw while my parents were gone for the week. I even think their first born was conceived at that party that night.
This is the lot of us, shotgunning Coors.
So why the U2 post?
My friends and I went to the U2 3D movie tonight at the Imax. It was stunning. Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen, Jr. I had forgotten how intimately I had known them. I first saw them in 1985 for the Unforgettable Fire tour and have since seen them four more times, the last time in 1992 for the Zoo TV tour. It's really cool to revisit a band that you have kind of lost touch with for awhile. So U23D seemed like a real concert! I wanted to cheer after every song, dance during the songs, and scream every now and then! The energy was incredible and the first couple of songs brought chills - just seeing them again so close, so clear and so live. Check it out if you can. Click here for U23D - the website.

2 comments:
Jon, I didn't know you were the third member of Wham!
I don't know what I love more... that she adopts cats or that he owns a Hummer. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :-)
Post a Comment