Hidden Treasure
Being the oldest in my family, I guess I always thought that I would be keeper of my mom's treasures. Today I learned differently. My brother brought out a large scrapbook that contained pictures, calendars, notes, letters, and assorted ephemera that my mom collected and organized from her life. The earliest entries were from 1966, when she met my dad. Captioned pictures of her when she was 21 and my dad 22 (so young!) - "I can't believe we're getting MARRIED!" - with her wide smile and sparking eyes, entranced me with both curiosity and sadness. I handled every page as if it were a $100,000 bill (wasn't there once such a thing?) and slowly discovered things I hadn't seen before. Truly a hidden treasure.
1 comment:
I love your sly way of doing this post!
I'm sure it was hard to leave the memorabilia behind.
Post a Comment