- 1 Cadillac 'rita - Mission
I'm just not this type of guy. I do enjoy individual sports: rollerblading, biking, running and the occasional game of tetherball (but only if I'm taller and more experienced than the other tetherballer.), but organized team sports I never really got in to. Sure I'll watch games now and then and sometimes I can watch a sport, say football, and think it's the best game ever invented. And basketball, how exciting to watch the slam dunks and the steals. Soccer? Great stuff. But when it comes down to it, there are so many other things that I'd rather do with my 2-4 hours that it would take to watch a game. I never understood how (mostly) men can get so into sports; like, turn-red-in-the-face-with-anger or I'm-on-a-World-Series-high-because-my-team-just-won into it. There's a passion in them that I just don't have.
And that's why I was afraid to have a boy.
Susan reminded me a little while after London was born, that I have so much more to offer him, however. "Your mom raised you to do things that boys don't typically learn, and you can do the same for London." So what can I pass on to London? I can teach him the difference between a tablespoon (T) and a teaspoon (t); or why baking powder and baking soda are different, but both important; or how to do his own laundry; or plant dahlias; or sew a button; or to put the forks on the left; or to read aloud to his own children; or that wine makes girls googly. These are somewhat inconsequential things, as are sports, but I believe now that God gave me a boy for a reason, and I think that Yvonne Patricia Stewart would be proud of the things that I'll be able to pass on to London.

3 comments:
Jon, you have nothing to worry about. You're a pretty well-rounded dude. He'll discover on his own if he likes sports. Besides, going out and playing catch is one of the best things you can do with him and that doesn't involve slapping, wrestling or getting red in the face.
there's so much more to learn than sports. I wished it wasn't put on me so much when i was younger, because I don't like them much either, except at times. I'd say take what you think of "sports" and change it to a term of "activity" and try that out. Games, running, roller blading would be a fucking blast with dad. It's all in just being you.
Jon, you're an amazing, well-rounded man and have TONS to offer London. Kevin's dad wasn't a hands-on dad at all and Kevin had to convince his parents to let him be apart of sports. He will discover whatever "boy" activities he wants soon enough.
I wanted a girl and dreamt of having this strong, independent girl that marched to the beat of her own drum. Well, she is all of those things, yet she is a total girly-girl. And guess what, I embrace that. It's who she is (at least right now). I still have issues thinking she might want to be a cheerleader one day, but I guess if that's her path, so-be-it. As long as she respects herself and others and does her best, then the rest is cake. Maybe I was meant to gave a girly-girl to teach me that they aren't so bad. :-)
I know you'll support London in who he is and hopefully when he's grown up he'll thank you for it.
Post a Comment