Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Dinner

  • 1 pint Rainier - Mike's Chili Parlor
  • 1 pint mhl - Mike's Chili Parlor
  • 1 Woodford Reserve bourbon - LRobb's house
  • many glasses red wine - home
  • many bottles beer - home
  • double Vanilla Sex with hot chocolate - home
Tonight was a very special dinner, not only because of the company, but because of the china. This sounds strange, I know, but it's the china that my mom collected - Friendly Village - Ken, Michelle, and I loved giving it to her for Christmas because she loved receiving it. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas we would carefully pull out the various pieces - the teapot, the gravy boat, the butter dish, the sugar dish, the salt and pepper shaker, the serving bowls, the meat platters, the double decker dessert dish, the place settings...there are so many pieces to it. After mom died, Ken, Michelle, and I split it up and I was amazed when I pulled it out today that I had so many pieces of it. Ken and Michelle have just as many. I would like to continue collecting even though china doesn't usually inspire me. I do love this pattern though. It's such a festive and fun holiday pattern; scenes of covered bridges, and snowy-banked streams, and pine trees; the delicate watercolor-type paint evokes a time when everyone traveled by horse-drawn carriages through snowy paths to arrive at their warm and inviting destination. It was the first time we've used this china since my mom died. My guests didn't know this, but I was glad that they were there to enjoy it.

No comments: