Sunday, January 13, 2008

Grits and Gravy

  • 2 Imperial pints Tetley's Ale - Celtic Swell
An absolutely beautiful day. Walked to Mass at 8 am and the air was clear and still, there was no one on the road - much different than when I walk to work during the weekday. So peaceful and it felt warm too..the bank thermometer read 40 degrees, but it felt warmer than that. It continued to warm up throughout the day, so much that all I wore on a walk to Alki was a thin, long sleeve t-shirt and a wool cardigan. Susan and I stayed at Alki for a few hours, walking up and down the beach and stopping for lunch at the Celtic Swell. There were these two guys there, and they were probably with two other people that I saw who I could tell weren't from around here. It might have had something to do with the cargo shorts they were wearing with the running shoes...an altogether bad look. One guy was wearing a baseball cap backwards, the other was wearing a baseball cap forwards. Backwards Cap Guy was wearing a shirt that said "Celtic" on the back, and Frontwards Cap Guy was wearing a shirt that said "Grits and Gravy" on the back. That was the one who interested me. Were they from the south? What were they doing here? What was with the shorts? They toasted a shot of something (whiskey?), drank it and followed it with a beer. Then they took a picture of themselves by holding the camera out in front of them. They weren't rowdy, but I was wondering what they were toasting. Then they squeezed in with the other two people while the bartender took a picture of them. Minutes later the bartender was motioning with her hands as if she was sharing her topographical knowledge of the area. I always kind of feel sorry for bartenders because they must get shit like that all the time.

I took the above picture at an apartment complex today because I like old apartment names like this.

No comments: